Visit #4

Date: Wednesday, October 30

Time: 4:15 - 4:45 p.m.

Climate Conditions: partly cloudy, windy, really warm for the last days of October

Temperature: 76°

Length of Day: 10 hours and 22 minutes


I heard: crickets, birds but I couldn't tell what kind, water splashing due to the fish, a lot of traffic to the south and east (I could hear more traffic than last time), wind rustling through the trees and the leaves, and a squirrel or something in the underbrush

I felt: the water (refreshing), a couple bugs crawling on my arm

I saw: the fish jumping again, even though I couldn't tell if there were any bugs near the surface of the water, I did see some fleas in the area though, a bush/weed that turned a yellow/orange/coral color, the water was way darker than last time, less leaves on the trees and more leaves in the river, the ground was kind of wet, which I found interesting because it hasn't rained for awhile. 

I smelled: fresh air 


Changes noticed since last visit:

- The water color was way darker than last time. 

- There was a tree that was cut down since last time. I noticed right away when I walked up to my area that there was a much bigger opening since last time. I first thought it was just a lot of the brush dying and falling to the ground because that is what happens in the fall, but I soon saw a stump of a tree that was cut down. It looked like a chainsaw was used to cut it down. (Picture below)


- I also noticed that across the river and down a little bit was a steep hill that seemed to be eroded and the dirt fell into the river. I don't know if it was there before, but I hadn't noticed it before. (Picture below)

Here are a few pictures of my area (same spot photos):






Water Color Info:

I think what I am seeing in the water is tannins. According to the EPA Water Consultants, "tannins are decayed organic material that has dissolved into water." (Link) The tannins make the water appear brown or yellow, depending on how much tannins are in the water. As I have been visiting my location, I have noticed the water color becoming deeper and deeper brown. I think this is because during the fall, there is so much organic material falling to the ground and decaying. Thus, when it rains, the rainfall picks up the decayed material and carries it to the river where it dissolves and makes the water darker. Tannins are the same thing that make the Tahquamenon Falls in the Upper Peninsula the color they are. (Picture Link)

 Experience the Awe of Tahquamenon Falls State Park | Upper Peninsula

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts